The case list for Stoa Blue Book, Monument Publishing’s sourcebook for team-policy debaters in Stoa speech and debate league, released this morning. I’ve got several reasons you’re going to love this year’s book.
NOTE: Our big sale ends in one week. Blue Book’s prices are going up on June 15 to $50, so you don’t want to miss out of ordering for next year. Click here to order.
Crawl inside my publishing world for a moment. I’m changing Blue Book’s workflow to help maximize the potential of the sourcebook for debaters. I believe it will be the absolute best Blue Book in its 17 year history.
- Early Release. We’re setting our print date earlier than ever: August 1. This gets Blue Book in your hand before club starts.
- Spotlight Cases. In time for print, we are selecting three cases specifically for the summer edition. You’ll be able to get your brain around the most topical, obvious responses to the Stoa resolution.
- October Addendum. We won’t be done August 1, we’ll just be starting. We are writing clear through September to stack Blue Book full of other briefs.
Like I said, this is going to be the best year in Blue Book’s 17 years of cases and briefs. We’ll still have the second affirmative extensions, negative briefs, educational chapters, history and status quo analysis, case summaries and digital downloads. This is going to be one packed year of team-policy preparation!
Two more pieces of news that will spark your interest…
1. Case List Released
We have our three Spotlight Cases locked and loaded for print, plus a tentative case list that looks pretty good for our August 1 deadline. NOTE: these are “tentative,” but they’re well on their way being written right now…
Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reform its electronic surveillance law.
- AIRPORT FULL BODY SCANNERS
- DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA JUSTICE SYSTEM ELECTRONIC MONITORING
- DRONE SURVEILLANCE (Spotlight)
- ECPA SECRECY
- EMAIL SEARCH WARRANTS (Spotlight)
- IMMIGRATION SURVEILLANCE DATABASE
- POST-SENTENCING MONITORING (WALSH ACT)
- PRETRIAL MONITORING OF FEDERAL DEFENDANTS
- ROVING FISA WIRETAPS (Spotlight)
- SETI (SEARCH FOR EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL INTELLIGENCE)
- USA FREEDOM ACT (NSA SPYING)
- GEOLOCATION PRIVACY & SURVEILLANCE ACT
Want to know the absolute best thing about this year’s Blue Book? In my mind, at least. The cover features Training Minds Alumni Reesey Rea and Megan McKinley, the 2014 Stoa National Champions who won NITOC in May, pictured here.
This is an old picture dating back to 2011 when they started debating in my club in Monument, Colorado. Megan and Reesey are all grown up now, graduated from high school with top honors as champs, and two of the best debaters in the country. In fact, Megan is joining the Blue Book writing team this summer and is working on some of the content right now. Vance (my coauthoring coach from France) and I couldn’t be more proud.
This reminds me of one of the reasons I plug away at homeschool debate. Nothing prepares kids for the future better than academic debate. I love this, and I love how the kids learn and grow into outstanding young adults who make us proud.
Blue Book is the debater’s staple for the year. Be sure you preorder your copy and be one of the first in the nation to get your hands on its valuable content.